↑ The Rhino Building 1970 or earlier.
RHINOCEROSTORY: About The Rhino
The Rhino Restaurant + Bar situated in the heart of Parkdale, first opened its doors as The Rhino Bar & Grille back in 1992. The building itself was constructed in 1909 as Elm Grove House and adopted as a Heritage Building in the 70’s. It features casual dining in a large open concept space, with furnishings that are typical for a public house. A faux-rhino head hangs above the large bar and the dark stained wooden floors are offset by orange walls.
Pool tables and a 60″ Widescreen Television offer inexpensive entertainment for sports fans in the 2 backrooms or a large patio along Queen Street West, ensures an outdoor chilled ‘Beer Fest’ atmosphere. But if staying out of the sun is a preference, two skylights encourage a sunlit atmosphere in the upper east dining room. Or sit in the main dining room or bar looking onto Queen street, through large warehouse-style windows. The food is tasty, the menu eclectic and the price is below most of the other old and new restaurants in the area.
At The Rhino a variety of craft beers flow regularly from 25 draft taps plus a Cask Ale. For the more worldly beer connoisseur, The Rhino offers over 290 beers from all over the globe, including a long list of ‘traditional’ domestic and imported cans or bottles.
100+ Years Ago
↓ Parkdale and the surrounding area near Elm Grove House, now The Rhino.
Laying the Queen West streetcar tracks 117 years ago: The above photograph was taken in 1898, close to where The Rhino is now located – 11 years before The Rhino’s original building was completed. Looking east, the Gladstone Hotel (1889) can be seen on the far left (with its original cuppola) beyond CN’s Dufferin St. bridge. Photo Courtesy of City of Toronto Archives
RHINOLUTION: 1992 | 2005 | 2015
the.Rhino* 2017 / About / History